Pages

.

Tiny Footpath Garden

Not far from here is a row of tiny cottages where very elderly people live.

These little houses are very close to the road and have pocket handkerchief-sized front yards.  Yet despite the age and frailty of the residents, they have the most amazing gardens.  Some grow roses or dahlias or other flowers, and others grow the most beautiful vegetables.  All are immaculately and lovingly tended.  Each summer, one very elderly gentleman grows the largest and earliest tomatoes that I have ever seen. 

Many of the tiny gardens have been extended into the even tinier nature strips.  As I passed yesterday afternoon I saw the miniature winter vegetable garden below.  From what I could tell, the gardener was growing broccoli, cabbages, lettuce and green onions.  And all in a space of about 2 metres by 50 centimetres.

Whenever I wish I had more space in my own garden I think about these inspiring elderly gardeners.  It goes to show, you really don't need much space to grow a productive and delicious garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment