Pages

.

Chili Dog Casserole



If you're looking for a super healthy recipe, just turn away please. I promise we will be back to regular scheduled healthy recipes later.  But for now, I give you this. Chili Dog Casserole.


I could have and probably should have used turkey dogs, they are lower in calorie and healthier. But nope, just used regular old bun length hot dogs.

I also should have used a nice healthy homemade chili.  But nope, canned stuff with tons of sodium was used here. 

I also meant to reduce the cheese. I reduced the cheese in almost all my recipes. 
But nope, not in this one. 

The only thing here that could resemble healthiness is the whole wheat tortillas. But look what they are buried in! 


I gotta tell you though, this rocked. It was GOOOOOD.  I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis unless you are a marathon runner and can afford the calories, but for an every once in awhile treat, it was good.

I do think that should when I make this again, I will use homemade chili. I hadn't had canned chili in a thousand years so I forgot how plain it was.  I wasn't impressed. This would be great with leftover homemade chili. 




Corn Dog Casserole Recipe
Adapted from Allrecipes

2 (15 oz.) cans chili with beans
1 can Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 onion, chopped
8 hotdogs
8 whole wheat tortillas (corn tortillas if gluten free)
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Mix chili and tomatoes in a bowl and mix until combined. Spread about 1 cup of mixture on the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. pan.  Lay tortillas flat, spread about a tablespoon of chili mixture, a bit of onion and a small bit of cheese (a tablespoon maybe) on bottom of tortilla, lay hotdog on top and roll inside tortilla. Place in baking dish, seam side down.  Continue with all tortillas. Top with remaining chili mixture, onions and remaining cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 425 for about 30 minutes. 

Total calories = 4180
8 servings = 522 calories per serving

One Year Ago...









Southwestern Butternut Squash

This is linked with:

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Quick Dinners at Life as Mom



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment