Pages

.

Sweet Potato Patties with Black Bean Salsa




Has it already been a month?  It's time again for The Secret Recipe Club. This month my assigned blogger was Chellie from Art From My Table.  I went straight to her vegetarian section.  I eat meat but don't overly care about meat and I find the best things tend to be in the vegetarian section. 




I first saw the Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups and thought for sure that I would make those. Her Avocado Lettuce Salad sounds awesome. I never thought to mix it with lettuce like this!  Her Artichoke Tomato Chicken that she posted last month for SRC is still on my list to make.  My mouth is watering just thinking of it.



Then I found it. The perfect recipe.  I chose her Sweet Potato Cakes with Black Bean Salsa.  I had just bought a 10 pound box of sweet potatoes at Costco.  Black beans are always in the cupboard so this was the perfect recipe for me.


If you make the salsa ahead of time, this is a snap to make. The sweet potato patties came together quite easily. I used gluten free flour which worked well. The black bean salsa tasted fantastic and I ate the leftovers the next day with gluten free crackers.
Thank you Chellie for an awesome recipe that I for sure will make again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweet Potato Patties with Black Bean Salsa
Recipe from Art from My Table

2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
½ cup all-purpose flour (I used gluten free)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 green onions, both white and green parts, finely chopped
 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2-3 tablespoons butter

-Steam the sweet potato chunks for 15-20 minutes until completely tender, and then transfer to a colander and allow to drain until dry.


- Once very dry, place sweet potato chunks in a large mixing bowl and mash with a potato masher to break up chunks. Add flour and finely chopped green onions, and mix with your hands to form a smooth batter. Using your hands here is best so that it doesn’t become over mixed. In a food processor, the sweet potato mixture could quickly become gummy. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed. Once the mixture is smooth, and the flour and green onions are mixed in, you’re ready to fry. Note: the mixture should be sticky but not wet, so more flour may be needed.

- In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Form round, flat cakes from about two tablespoons of batter per cake, and fry 4 or 5 at a time for 3-4 minutes per side until golden. Transfer finished cakes to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain and cool. Add more oil and butter to pan between batches as needed, and continue frying a few cakes at a time until all are ready for their toppings.



For the black bean salsa:
1 16 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained, or 1 cup dried beans, prepared
1 small can mild green chilies, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, small diced
¼ cup finely minced red onion
¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
¼ teaspoon salt
Sour Cream for serving


-Combine all salsa ingredients (except sour cream) in a small bowl and stir to combine. Salsa can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator.

-Top each cake with sour cream and black bean salsa and serve.









No comments:

Post a Comment