Pages

.

Vegetarian White Bean Zucchini Lasagna







I made a zucchini lasagna last fall and loved it!  This time I tried my hand at a vegetarian one. Who needs meat when you have all this delicious cheese, right?









I cut my zucchini the long way in slices, like noodles.  I used 3 layers, alternating directions for more stability.  The zucchini doesn't cover all of it but it was fine. 







The only thing I would change is I think I would slice my zucchini in coins rather than strips. It would be easier to cut into the lasagna that way. 







I didn't want my zucchini to be mushy but I found that we pulled out a huge chunk of zucchini each time we cut into it or bit into it. I think cutting them in coins would help that too. 









This wasn't the prettiest meal coming out of the oven. It sliced better the next day after it had firmed up. While it was delicious, I think I would amp up the spices a bit next time.  A bit more italian seasoning, maybe some red pepper flakes. Something like that.  I will for sure make it again though!











Zucchini White Bean Lasagna

Adapted from My Bizzy Kitchen



Ricotta filling:

1 1/2 cup ricotta cheese

1 cup egg beaters

1/4 cup bread crumbs

2 tbsp. dried parsley

2 tsp. dried oregano

1 tsp. crushed red peppers



Bean Onion Mixture:

2 cans (15 oz) white or great northern beans, rinsed and drained

1 large onion, chopped

1 tbsp. garlic, minced



Tomato sauce mixture:

1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste

1 tbsp. Italian seasoning

1/2 tbsp. garlic powder



Remaining ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. zucchini, sliced thin

Mozzarella cheese, part skim, shredded (6 oz.)



Combine ricotta filling in a bowl, mix to combine. 

Saute onion in pan until soft, about 5 - 7 minutes, add garlic and white beans, stir and heat for another few minutes. Remove from heat. 

Combine tomato sauce mixture, mix to combine



In a 9 x 13 in. pan, sprayed with cooking spray, cover the bottom with a bit of tomato sauce mixture. Layer 1/3 zucchini, 1/3 ricotta mixture, 1/3 bean/onion mixture, 1/3 tomato sauce mixture and 1/3 mozzarella cheese.  Repeat until you've used everything, ending with the cheese.  Bake at 350 for about 45 - 55 minutes, depending on how well you want your zucchini.



Total calories = 2341 calories

8 servings = 293 calories per serving



One Year Ago...





















Slow Cooker BBQ Baked Beans





This is linked with:

$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners

My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory

Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale

Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker

Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?

Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac

Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou

Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling

Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff

Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam

Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life & Mom's Sunday Cafe

Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies

Ultimate Recipe Swap:Zucchini at Life as Mom

Ingredient Spotlight:Zucchini at Eat at Home















Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment