Pages

.

Mexican Cheesy Pot Pie



First, link up your CHERRY recipes over at I'm No Chef Recipe Cooking Challenge this week! 


I saw this recipe and knew it would be a winner.  I did add my own touch and changed the name but the inspiration was the same.  Pam rocks and she has a ton of awesome recipes so check her site out! 



One change that I made was to add 1/4 tsp. of chipotle chili powder to the cornbread mix.  This was subtle but added an awesome smokeyness that was delicious. 


I also added some peas and carrots that I had leftover in the freezer.  Somehow, when I added the peas and carrots, it became a pot pie to me so that is what I called it.  You can add whatever veggies you'd like!


Whatever you call it, it was absolutely delicious and I can't wait to make it again!! 




Mexicali Cheesy Pot Pie Recipe
Adapted from Pam's Midwest Cooking

1 lb. ground turkey, 93% lean
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 (10 oz.) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
5 oz. cheddar cheese, divided

For corn bread topping:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup milk, 1%
2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Brown ground turkey and onions in large pan until cooked.  Season with chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Stir in tomatoes, corn and peas & carrots (used whatever veggies you want.)  Transfer to an 8 x 8 in. baking dish.

Top with half the cheddar cheese.

In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, chipotle powder and salt.  Stir in egg, milk and oil.  Spread evenly over turkey mixture. Top with the rest of the cheese.  Bake, uncovered for about 35 minutes or until topping is set. 

Total calories = 2344 calories
6 servings = 391 calories per serving

One Year Ago...







Butterscotch Blondies

This is linked with:

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Made it on Monday at Lark's Country Heart
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Foodie Friday at Little Brick Ranch





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment