Pages

.

Apple Chicken Quesadillas




Quesadillas and wraps of some sort are really the foundation of this house.  We buy 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas in bulk at Sam's Club and always have them on hand.  We panic if there is only one 20 pack left in the freezer.  So you can imagine the horror when I got home from my vacation to discover an email from my brother titled THE END OF THE WORLD.  (He lives with us and probably eats more tortillas than the rest of us). 

So I get this email and he has told me that THERE WERE NO MORE TORTILLAS LEFT IN THE HOUSE.  I had gone on vacation and left him tortilla-less.  Never mind the bagels, english muffins and several loaves of bread in the freezer downstairs. He turned to cheesecake.  As he often does when left without options to eat. 

We quickly ran to Sam's Club and bought 3 boxes, just to come home to find that my brother had gone there as well and bought 4 boxes.  So clearly the world was NOT going to end and we once again had tortillas again. 

*sigh*

Now that I am gluten free, I leave the whole wheat tortilla shopping to him and I stick to corn tortillas.  I find I like them better actually.



These apple chicken quesadillas were really, really good. I did change the recipe quite a bit though.  She tossed everything together without precooking anything but the chicken, tossed it on a tortilla and put it in the oven to cook.  We usually use the stovetop to make our quesadillas, it's quicker and easier for us. 

So I decided to precook the onion/apple mixture by a bit.  I thought it worked fine just to throw the cheese right in too.  That way we just tossed the cooked mixture into the refrigerator and was able to quickly make quesadillas.

I did use only a little cheese.  Certainly it would hold together better with a bit more but I just hate to use all my calories that way.  If you put a whole tortilla in a pan on the stove and toast it on one side, then flip, add your quesadilla mixture to one half of it and fold it over, it tends to hold together okay. 

I dipped this into sour cream the first day and then for lunch the next day, I added just a bit of BBQ sauce to the quesadilla instead of sour cream. I liked that the best!  These were awesome and I'll be for sure making them again!


Apple Chicken Quesadillas
Adapted from Delightful Country Cooking

2 medium apples, diced (I used Fugi)
10 oz. diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup corn
2 oz. shredded cheddar
2 oz. shredded mozzarella
1 tsp. oil (I used bacon grease)
1 large onion, chopped (10 oz)
1 red pepper, chopped (5.5 oz)
1/4 tsp. salt

Saute onion and red pepper in oil for a couple of minutes until soft. Add apples, chicken, corn and salt. Stir to combine, add cheese and cook until melted.  Yields 7 cups

Total calories without tortillas = 1355 calories
14 - 1/2 cup servings = 97 calories per serving
1 serving with 100 calorie whole wheat tortilla = 197 calories per wrap

One Year Ago...








Pork with Cherry, Strawberry Reduction

This is linked with:

No Whine Wednesday at Food on the Table
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Made it on Monday at Lark's Country Heart


Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment