Pages

.

Southwestern Pasta Salad




I try to use real foods. I really, really do.  Sure, I regularly use canned beans and tomatoes but other than that, I usually am pretty good at using non processed foods.  (we won't talk about the chicken nuggets my kids eat though).

Then there is Velveeta. *sigh*

I don't know what it is but gosh, it tastes pretty darn good, doesn't it? 

This uses the mexican flavored Velveeta.  This really turned out to be one of my favorite dishes, seriously.  I loved it especially warm.  Ooey gooey cheesy!

I added an extra can of beans and omitted the olives but otherwise pretty much stuck to the original recipe.  I couldn't find my copy of the recipe when I wrote this up so I don't have my nutritional stats for it.  That's what I get for not writing it up right away!!



Southwestern Pasta Salad
Adapted from Delightful Country Cookin'


1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
12 oz. pasta, cooked (I used rotini, medium shells & penne)
12 oz. Velveeta Mexican
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped red or green pepper
1/3 cup (1 can) sliced black olives (I didn't use)
1/3 cup sliced green onion


Drain tomatoes, reserving the liquid. Mix two tablespoons of reserved tomato liquid with cheese. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until cheese melts. Gradually blend in 1/3 cup reserve tomato liquid. Add pasta and remaining ingredients. Toss and serve (warm or cold). Serves 8.

This is my submission to Presto Pasta Nights hosted this week by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast.

One Year Ago...








Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style


This is linked with:

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Recipe Swap at Prairie Story
Made it on Monday at Lark's Country Heart
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom 
Foodie Friday at Little Brick Ranch









Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment