Pages

.

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Slow Cooker



I've made a lot of soups. I love soup.  I've made many southwestern flavored soups.  But never tortilla soup. At least not with tortillas actually IN the soup.



I'm a flour tortilla fan. No clue why.  I think my brother once said years back that he preferred them so I just never tried corn tortillas. Why on earth would I trust my brother?! Corn chips of course, but never corn torillas. Weird.


So I bought corn tortillas for this recipe. I loved, loved, loved how they completely dissolved in the soup and flavored and thickened it wonderfully. 

Then of course was the toasting of the corn chips.  That was awesome too.

This soup was a complete hit. Wonderful flavor but not spicy.  Definite keeper.



Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Adapted from Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, boneless
2 cans chicken broth (14 oz)
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (4 oz) green chiles
1 1/2 cups corn
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
6 corn tortilla, cut into thin strips
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Optional toppings: Tortilla strips, sour cream, cheddar cheese or avocado

Add chicken breasts, broth, tomatoes, green chiles, corn, onion, garlic, bay leaf and spices to the crock pot.  Add the cut tortilla strips to the pan. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 - 8 until chicken is able to shred.  Shred chicken, return to crock.  Add half and half and cilantro.  Cook an additional half hour.  Garnish as desired.

Tortilla Strips:
Cut corn tortillas into strips.  Spread out on a lightly oiled baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper and bade until crispy at 400 degrees, about 10 minutes.

Total calories with out extra toppings: 1809 calories
11 cups = 164 calories per cup

One Year Ago...








Peanut Butter Dip

This is linked with:

Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu Wednesdays at Dining with Debbie
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Soup at Life as Mom





Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment