Pages

.

Lentil Tacos


I'm in the process of trying to reeducate my family about meat.  I don't believe that we need to eat meat every night.  I don't have specific numbers but I know that we eat a LOT more meat than in previous centuries. I know that portion size in the United States is often way more than other countries.  I can't quote you exact statistics but I am just fine with reducing my meat intake.

I certainly haven't eliminated meat and I don't want to exclude our family favorites from our dinner rotation.  Tacos and nachos are for sure one of our favorites and I won't be giving those up anytime soon.   


What I love about these lentil tacos is that they look like taco meat, they smell like tacos and they really TASTE like tacos.  No meat, no guilt. 

I ate the leftovers with some gluten free Mary's Gone Crackers.  I love these crackers!


Lentil Tacos

1 large onion, chopped
1 large jalapeno, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups lentils
5 cups vegetable broth or water
Corn tortillas
Toppings like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream and taco sauce

Heat oil over medium high in a large pan.  Add onion, pepper and garlic and saute until onions are transucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the spices and lentils and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.  Pour in broth and bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to medium low.  Cover pan and simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils have softened.  Uncover pan and simmer for another 10 minute or until liquid is absorbed. Lightly mash some of the lentils.  Spoon mixture into tortillas, add desired toppings and serve. 

One Year Ago...







Tangy Chicken Fajitas

This is linked with:
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Gallery of Favorites at 21st Century Housewife
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots and Jello
Whole Foods Wednesday at These Chicks Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment