Pages

.

Lemon Bars


My kids are obsessed with juicing lemons.  They love to juice them and drink the juice just to get see who puckers the most.  Just talking about it is making my mouth tighten up and water! I don't particularly like sour things but they love it.

So when they asked to buy a bag of lemons at Costco, I obliged and knew they would have fun juicing them.  Little did I know that we ended up with 2 bags of lemons!  We often buy a ton of food at Costco and we had 2 carts so we had a bag of lemons in each cart.  That's a lot of puckering!

When I came home I decided I need to do something more creative with the lemons than just watching the kids juice it and drink it.  So Joanne's lemon bars came to mind. She used Meyer lemons which I've never had but these seemed to work just fine.  These were nice and sweet; just the way that I like to eat lemons!



Lemon Bars Recipe
Adapted from Eats Well With Others

1/2 lb. butter, at room temperature (I used one stick and it turned out fine)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 tsp. salt

6 extra large eggs, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tbsp. lemon zest
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour

Cream together the butter and sugar until light in the bowl with an electric mixer. Add the flour and salt and mix together until just mixed.  Flatten the dough into a 9 x 13 in. baking dish, sprayed with cooking spray.  Chill crust in the freezer for 10 minutes. 

Preheat oven to 350.  Bake crust for 15 - 20 minutes or until lightly browned. 

For the lemon layer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until set.  Pour over the crust and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until set.  Let cool to room temperature.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. 

One Year Ago...






This is linked with:
Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies
Weekend Wrap Up at Tatertots and Jello
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom



Chicken & White Bean Wraps

No comments:

Post a Comment