Pages

.

Island Chocolate Oat Bars


Confession; I have never been to Starbucks. I'm not a coffee drinker so it doesn't occur to me to go there.  I even won a Starbucks gift card (thanks Biz) but ended up giving it away to some full time preaching pioneers.  I know I could have gone and gotten some hot chocolate but I knew they would appreciate it more being outside in the cold winter so much.  Anyways, I haven't been to a Starbucks so I clearly haven't eaten their Island Oat Bars.  Katie says that they might only be in Canada so you perhaps haven't had them either. 



I love bars with oats. So I knew that these would be a good bet to make for The Secret Recipe Club post this month.  This month my Secret Recipe Club blog is Betcha Can't Eat Just One.  I found another recipe that I can't wait to make when I have a large group and won't be tempted to eat the entire pan myself.  Her Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Knock your socks off Brownie Bars are completely drool worthy and my kids can't wait for me to make them.
The Island Oat Bars were great, I'm not sure where the "Island" part comes from. I would have thrown some coconut in the food processor with the oats if I had had some.  They turned out great though and they held together nicely but I did cook them longer than the original recipe called.  Oh - I added chocolate chips too.  You can never go wrong with chocolate chips!  The kids completely loved them. Thanks Katie for a tasty recipe that I'll for sure make again.

Island Oat Bars
Adapted from Betcha Can't Eat Just One

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup agave syrup
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray an 8 x 8 in. pan with cooking spray.

Using a blender or a food processor, pulse 2 cups of the oats until they resemble a coarse meal. Mix together with the remaining oats.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the brown sugar, agave syrup and salt. Stir until all of the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.

Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and milk.

Add all of the oats to the pot and stir until everything is well combined.

Gently press the 1/2 of the oat mixture into the prepared pan, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.  Press remaining oat batter over chips and press gently. Bake for 25 - 30  minutes, the oat bars should be a very light golden brown.  Keep an eye on them not to burn or overcook.

Remove from the oven and cool completely before slicing into bars.


No comments:

Post a Comment