Pages

.

Arepas with Poblanos, Bacon and Eggs





I loved the name of this recipe. Arepas with Poblanos.  It just has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? You have to say it with an accent too of course. It just rolls off the tongue. Arepas with Poblanos!


I had never made arepas before.  I'm not sure I even really knew what an arepa was.  Well, let me tell you, they were delicious.  Like awesome corn pancakes.


While the poblanos looked pretty and were delicious, I think next time, I would just cut them up into the eggs.  I'm all about simple and that would just be one less step. Call me lazy but I think it would be just fine.


Arepas with Poblanos, Bacon and Eggs
Adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine Sept. 11

2 large poblano chile peppers
1 cup corn flour or finely ground cornmeal
1 cup corn
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (3 oz)
1 cup milk
2 tbsp. butter
6 slices bacon, chopped
8 eggs
Cilantro (optional)

Preheat broiler to high.  Char the poblanos under the broiler on all sides, 5 - 6 minutes.  Place in a bowl, cover and let cool.  Peel, seed and slice.

Place corn flour and corn kernals in a bowl and season with salt.  Add the cheese and toss with your fingers.  In a small saucepan, heat the milk but do not boil. Add the butter to melt.  Stir into the corn mixture and let stand for about 10 minutes. 

Cook the bacon in a skillet until done and crispy.  Scoop bacon out onto paper towels to drain.  Save bacon grease to cook arepas and eggs in if desired.  (it's bacon grease, how could you NOT want to do this!)

Heat a thin layer of oil (I used bacon greast) in nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Spoon corn cake mixture and flatten slightly. I used an ice cream scoop for measuring and just flattened them with the end of the scoop.  Cook them for 3 - 4 minutes on one side, or until you see the edges just getting brown.  Flip and cook on the second side for a couple of minutes. I fit 4 in a pan and cooked 12 arepas. 

Add small bit of bacon grease to skillet and and add the eggs.  Season with salt and cilantro.  Scramble to desired doneness.  Layer the eggs on the arepas and top with poblanos.

One Year Ago...









Cilantro Rice

This is linked with:

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love Thursday at The Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper Thursday at It's a Keeper
Ultimate Recipe Swap-Side Dishes at Life as Mom
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Foodie Friday at Not Your Ordinary Recipes
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tater Tots and Jello
Makin' You Crave Mondays at Mrs. Happy Homemaker
Made By You Monday at Skip to My Lou
Recipe of the Week at Family Fresh Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment