Pages

.

Black Bean Brownies - Secret Recipe Club




I was thrilled when Amanda from The Secret Recipe Club asked me to make an extra recipe this month from India-Leigh's blog A Vegan Obsession.  While I don't eat vegan, I am trying to reduce my gluten with the potential of eventually going gluten free.  So there were many recipe ideas that I know I will be trying!

I've been meaning to make Black Bean Brownies for a long time.  I have several recipes saved so when I saw she had one, I knew I'd be making it right away. 

I am afraid that I de-veganed it though by using honey rather than agave.  Whoops!  Sorry about that.  I did change the recipe a bit, I looked at original recipe and hers and sorta combined the two. 

What I got was more of a banana bar.  I didn't get the chocolate taste too much and the banana was very pronounced in flavor.  I loved the texture and they tasted fine.  The kids all ate them and had no clue there were beans in them. Score! 

My group posts for The Secret Recipe Club next Monday! I've got a great post from another awesome blogger too!


Black Bean Brownies
Adapted from A Vegan Obsession

15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 whole ripe bananas
1/3 cup honey (or agave)
1 tbsp. orange marmalade
1/4 cup unsweeteded pure cocoa powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup oats, quick cooking

Heat oven to 350. Spray 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray.

Put all the ingredients, except for the oats, into a food processor. Process until smooth.  Take blade out, fold in the oats. Pour into prepared pan, cook for about 35 minutes.  Cool completely before serving.

Total calories = 1238 calories
12 bars = 103 calories per bar (from calorieking.com)

These are the stats I got when I plugged the numbers into Sparkpeople.com:
Nutrition Facts

12 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 96.6
Total Fat 0.7 g
Saturated Fat 0.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 132.7 mg
Potassium 199.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 3.0 g

This is linked with Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at SS & GF

No comments:

Post a Comment