Pages

.

Chipotle Honey Meatballs




Meatballs are so cute, aren't they? 

These would make excellent appetizers. Just put a decorated toothpick in them and they would be adorable at your next party!

I LOVED this sauce! You get the super sweetness from the honey and then the chipotle kick comes back at you.




You have to be careful with the chipotle peppers.  They can be pretty spicy.  Here's what I do; I puree the whole can, the peppers and the adobo sauce together.  Then I put in the refrigerator and it keeps for many weeks.  Then I am able to add however much I need to in my recipes.  To me, it's much easier than chopping an individual chipotle pepper.

I used about a tablespoon (maybe more) in the meatballs and then another tablespoon in the sauce.  I would recommend tasting the sauce and adding according to personal taste.



Chipotle Honey Meatballs
Adapted from Noble Pig

2 pounds ground chicken or turkey
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs (I used gluten free)
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can (4 ounce) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, divided
1 teaspoon salt


Chipotle-Honey Sauce
3/4 cup honey
2 to 3 whole chipotle peppers in adobo sauce ** (see note above regarding chipotle peppers)
2 tbsp. cup chicken broth or water
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 Tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt


Combine ground turkey or chicken, eggs, bread crumbs, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, 1 chopped chipotle pepper, about a couple teaspoons of adobo sauce and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.


Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and form chicken mixture into 60 meatballs. Place the meatballs on the baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap; chill 1 hour. Or do what I did an just refrigerate the meat dough and then make the meatballs. I got 60 meatballs.


While the meatballs are chilling, make the sauce.


In a food processor or blender combine honey, 1 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chicken broth, tomato paste, lime juice, Dijon mustard and salt. Process until smooth. Set aside. (I didn't use the food processor, I just stirred it all together)


Remove meatballs from the refrigerator and spray with cooking spray or brush lightly with vegetable oil.  Bake both trays in a 400 degree oven for 12 minutes.


Remove the trays from the oven and place meatballs in a baking dish. Add Chipotle-Honey Sauce and brush the meatballs until they are coated.


Bake another 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through and glazed with sauce.

Total calories = 2550 calories
60 meatballs = 42 calories per meatball with sauce


One Year Ago...












Tomato Basil Bread

This is linked with:
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory

Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
What's on your Plate? at Good Cheap Eats
What's on the Menu at Dining with Debbie
My Best Recipes at This Chick Cooks
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Gluten Free Wednesdays at Gluten Free Homemaker
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Appetizers at Life as Mom
Recipe of the Week: Appetizers at Family Fresh Meals



Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment