Pages

.

Cincinnati Sloppy Joes



Sloppy Joes.  Pure comfort food in my book.  Many, many different ways to make them and their all delicious. 

I've been trying a new way of eating.  I've been eliminating wheat from my diet.  I know, I know, I am the flour tortilla queen. I love, love, love them and would eat them daily.  Well, no more whole wheat flour tortillas for me.  

I've found that a lot of my recipes are fine on corn tortillas. A lot of them are fine just plain or with lettuce.  I'm trying to learn a new way of eating.  Gluten free seems to be working well for me for now.  The family isn't all on board yet so the blog hasn't completely transformed!  Plus I still have a backlog of recipes made when I was eating gluten.


With my elimination of wheat, I decided to eat my sloppy joes over mashed potatoes.  You know what. I actually liked it BETTER than on a bun. Yup.  It was awesome. I didn't miss the bread at all.

Hubs of course still wanted a bun.  It's okay. I'll let him.  :-)



Cincinnati Sloppy Joes Recipe
Adapted from Rachael Ray

2 lbs. ground turkey, 93%
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken stock
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (14 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Cook ground turkey.  Add pepper, onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes until it softens.  Add all the spices and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the tomato paste, brown sugar and worcestershire, cook for another minute or so. 

Add the chicken stock and tomato sauce and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.  Add the beans. Serve on slider buns, sandwich thins or over mashed potatoes like I did.

Total calories = 1780 calories
6 servings = 296 calories per serving

1 serving sloppy joes + 2 servings mashed potatoes = 456 calorie dinner

One Year Ago...






Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich

This is linked with:
Ultimate Recipe Swap:Beef at Life as Mom
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin'
Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Things I Love at Diaper Diaries
It's a Keeper at It's a Keeper Recipes

Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Foodie Friday at Not Your Ordinary Recipes
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tater Tots and Jello




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment