Pages

.

Squash Zucchini Casserole


Whenever I pass by the zucchini and squash at the store or the farmers market, I end up buying some. I don't always have a plan for it but I know it will get used.


So I had some squash in the frig with no plans.  Then my friend gave me a zucchini.  I first thought to make these zucchini cookies that I've been meaning to make for ages!  Then I saw this recipe for squash casserole and thought that combining them would be perfect. 

It was.


I loved having the color of the green zucchini along with the yellow squash. I left the peels on and left them pretty chunky as I was mashing. 

We ate this with spicy chipotle meatballs and it was a super meal!


Squash Casserole

2 - 2 1/2 lbs. yellow squash and zucchini
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 tbsp. onion, minced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
15 Ritz crackers (or 2 tbsp. butter/2 tbsp. bread crumbs)

Cut zucchini and squash into chunks. Steam the squash and zucchini in microwave with water until it's soft and able to be mashed. Drain well and mash, some chunks are okay.  Stir in egg, bread crumbs, onion and spices.  Pour into an 8 x 8 pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Crush Ritz crackers and sprinkle on top of casserole.  Bake for another 20 - 30 minutes until golden and done.

Total calories = 665 calories
4 servings = 166 per serving



One Year Ago...












Buffalo Chicken Pizza

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners

My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory
Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just another Meatless Monday at What's for Dinner, Mom?
Midnight Maniac Meatless Monday at Midnight Maniac
Made By You Mondays at Skip to my Lou
Mangia Mondays at Delightfully Dowling
Makin' You Crave Mondays at Mrs. Happy Homemaker
Tuesday at the Table at All The Small Stuff
Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
Hearth & Soul at Mom's Sunday Cafe
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at SS & GF
Recipe Party at This Chick Cooks




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment