Pages

.

Rhubarb Curried Chicken



I've met many food bloggers through The Secret Recipe Club.  Some have been assignments, some from the recipes posted on the blog hop and others from the comments left on my blog.  I've been visiting Daniel's blog The Haggis and the Herring for several months now. He leaves comments on practically all of the Secret Recipe Post which I admired quite a bit. 

A couple of weeks ago Daniel died.  His wife left an amazing eulogy on his blog. Some members of The Secret Recipe Club are paying tribute to Daniel by having a special day of posting from his blog.



I just re-read the eulogy and as I type this I am crying.  I didn't know Daniel personally, so why am I so emotional about this?  While I didn't know him, we have a lot in common; three children, a loving spouse and a food blog.  I'm crying because I am reminded how the time with our children is so incredibly precious.  That time could end at any time.  I am crying because no child should have to grow up without a father. I look at my children and feel the ache inside if that were to ever happen to them. I am also emotional and so grateful for my relationship with God and the knowledge that His purpose will be realized so soon. 

Tonight I am going to hug my children just a little bit tighter and a little bit longer.  I am also going to remember the important things in this world and think about the little things that we take for granted each day.  So much time is wasted doing stupid things.   



Rhubarb Curry Chicken
Adapted from The Haggis and the Herring

2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. giner
1/2 curry cube or 2 tsp. curry
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup white wine
1/2 lb. rhubarb, chopped
2 tbsp. sugar
2 lbs. chicken breasts or any chicken pieces
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar

In a medium sauce pan, heat 2 tbsp. oil over medium heat and saute onions for 2 minutes.  Add 1/2 tsp. salt and red pepper flakes, coriander, cumin, ginger and curry cube; saute for a minute.  Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion softens a bit.  Add wine, sugar and rhubarb, bring to a boil, then cover and cook 10 minutes over medium heat.  Stir, then re-cover and cook 10 minutes more until rhubarb has broken down into a sauce.

Meanwhile, add a bit of oil to a pan and heat.  Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Place chicken in pan and brown on both sides. 

Place chicken into a greased 9 x 13 in. baking dish and cover with rhubarb sauce, sprinkle with brown sugar.  Place baking dish into oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes.   








No comments:

Post a Comment