Pages

.

Thrifty Tip #10: Make Your Own Cleaning Products




Making home-made cleaning products can be a great way to save money, and, as with food, if we make them ourselves there are no hidden ingredients.

The simplest, most economical cleaners of all are baking (bicarbonate) soda and plain white vinegar.  If you google these ingredients you will find numerous websites with tips for their use.  My friend Lisa does all her household cleaning with a spray bottle of white vinegar and she says it works a treat.

At various times in the five years I've been blogging I've published recipes for cleaning products including laundry powder, spray and wipe cleaner, furniture cream and glass cleaner.   I've also made several batches of coconut and olive oil soap.  One of the beauties of home-made products is that we can add essential oils to suit our personal preferences, or, alternatively, we can leave them unscented.

While I do use some commercial cleaning products - for example, in my opinion there is no home-made dishwasher detergent that is as effective as a good commercial product - I often use home-made cleaners as well.  Indeed, having written this post I think I should start using home-made cleaners more than I have been lately!

Do you use any home-made cleaners?  What do you recommend? And are there any that you don't recommend?

This post is part of my series, Thirty Days of Thrifty Tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment