Pages

.

Thrifty Tip #15: Use Found Items


The idea for this post came to me as I collected pine cones on the way home from work yesterday.

You see, pine cones make excellent kindling and they are freely available in the park I ride through each day.  At this time of year there are so many littering the ground that I can be picky; I choose the biggest, chunkiest ones and leave the smaller ones alone.

As I collected pine cones I thought about the other found items that we use around the house.  There's the rectangular worm farm tray that made its way home on the back of my bike - I had been looking for an extra tray for years.  My daughter had a lovely fabric-covered cork board that someone left out the front of their house with some other junk.

Best of all is hard rubbish collection week each year.  A year or two ago I collected a lovely bookcase that I painted and now lives in our family room.

The trick with hard rubbish collections - or any other found items, for that matter - is to only take things that you know you will use.  Otherwise, it is easy to end up with far too much clutter.

Have ever found anything wonderful that someone else has discarded?

This post is part of my series, Thirty Days of Thrifty Tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment