Pages

.

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers



Sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes, oh how I love sweet potatoes.  I buy them at Costco in a 10 lb. box.  I can't possibly think of a meal that I wouldn't want to eat a sweet potato. I don't eat them with every meal but I do a lot. 

I was impressed with these burgers as they pressed together nicely and were incredibly delicious.  I admit, I ate more than my share and was quite full.  They are packed with protein and very healthy and filling.  There is only a small amount of quinoa in these but I suggest making a larger batch as it stays in the refrigerator quite well.

I kept mine gluten free and didn't use a bun but the family ate theirs as burgers and loved them.  



Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers Recipe
Adapted from Once a Month Mom

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cups sweet potato, cooked and mashed (I used a bit more)
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup onions, diced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup quinoa, cooked
3 tbsp. oats, partially ground
1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
1 tbsp. taco seasoning (I used a combination of chili powder, cumin and coriander)

Mash half the beans in a bowl until paste like.  Add in the rest of the beans and give it a light mash but keep them a bit chunky.  Add the mashed sweet potato and taco seasoning.  Mix in the onion, garlic, corn, black beans, quinoa, sunflower seeds and ground oats until just combined. Form into balls, between your hands and flatten into a patty.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes, flipping once half way through.  Serve with guacamole.

Guacamole

2 avocados, fairly soft, peeled and pit removed
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 serrano pepper, minced
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 roma tomato diced

Pour lime juice and vinegar in a medium bowl.  Mash avocados roughly into the vinegar and juice.  Stir in spices.  Mix in red onion, serrano pepper, cilantro and tomato. 

One Year Ago...

Mexican Meatloaf




No comments:

Post a Comment