Pages

.

Cinnamon Roll Rice Crispy Treats


One of my favorite things is making food for potlucks.  I enjoy trying to figure out something new to make that I wouldn't normally make for just my family.  Not that I don't love making dessert for the family but I know I would eat way too many if they all were here.  This way I just was able to eat the ends for a nibble.


I made the mistake of not putting oil on my hands before trying to spread them out.  Uh, not smart.  They were sticky and gooey and got all over my hands.  The good part was that before I washed them, I was able to lick my hands.  So I washed them up, sprayed a bit of cooking spray on them, and they were able to be spread really easily. 

When it came time for rolling, I decided to stop half way and cut it in half.  This way, the cinnamon rolls weren't quite so big around.  I wanted them to go farther. After all, I was serving them at a party with about 60 people. 


I did end up making a second batch for the party and I'm glad I did.  They went over great and everybody loved them. My husband and kids are already requesting them again!


Cinnamon Roll Rice Crispy Treats Recipe
Adapted from Baking and Boys

1 bag mini marshmallows
4 tbsp. butter
6 cups Rice Crispies cereal, I used gluten free
1 tbsp. cinnamon

Cinnamon filling:
6 tbsp. butter, softened or melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tbsp. corn syrup
1-2 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Spray a 15 x 19 in. baking pan with cooking spray.  I didn't have one of these so I just used a large cutting board sprayed with cooking spray.

In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter.  Microwave in 30 second intervals until  melted, it takes about a minute and 1/2. Add the cinnamon and stir.  Add the cereal and combine.  Spray your hands with cooking spray and press the cereal mixture evenly in the baking sheet.  I cannot stress enough how much you'll want to spray your hands first.  This is sticky stuff!  Get it thin but even. 

In a medium sized bowl, combine the brown sugar, melted butter and cinnamon.  Stir to combine.  Remove the rice crispy treats from the baking sheet (if they are in one).  Spread the cinnamon/butter mixture evenly over the treats.  Roll the treats up starting from the long end.  If you want smaller treats, stop rolling half way and cut the crispy treats.  If you want large ones, just keep rolling the whole thing up.  Now you'll have 1 or 2 rice crispy logs.  Slice these into rolls at desired thickness.  I kept mine pretty thin as I was trying to make them go a long way. 

In another bowl, combine the powdered sugar, corn syrup and vanilla.  Add one tablespoon of the milk and whisk together.  Until the icing is the desired consistency, add a little more milk at a time until it is the thickness you'd like.  Put the icing in a plastic bag and snip a corner.  Drizzle the icing over the cinnamon rolls.  Let sit until the icing is set, about 30 minutes.  I thought they were so sweet that I only used a little icing. 

One Year Ago...









Salted Browned Butter Crispy Treats

This is linked with:
Sweets for a Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies
Weekend Wrap Up Party at Tatertots and Jello
Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesdays at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Gallery of Favorites at 21st Century Housewife









No comments:

Post a Comment