Pages

.

The King's Speech


On the weekend my husband and I saw the King's Speech, and I thoroughly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet.  Everything about this film was exceptional: the sets, the clothes, the script, and the performances.

Despite not looking in the least like King George VI, Colin Firth was superb in the lead role.  Of course, he is my favourite actor, so my opinion should probably be taken with a grain of salt. 

However, the entire ensemble of actors was superb.  Geoffrey Rush played the pioneering speech therapist Lionel Logue with great sympathy and panache, and Helena Bonham Carter made an exemplary Queen Mother in a role very different from her usual quirky and manic characters (think Harry Potter's Bellatrix Lestrange and Alice in Wonderland's Queen of Hearts.)

I was also thrilled to see Jennifer Ehle as Lionel Logue's wife.  Is this the first time she has acted with Colin Firth since Pride and Prejudice?

In contrast, last night I saw the movie Australia (2008) on television and it was truly awful, one of the worst fims I have ever seen.  I really wanted to like it, but everything about the film was just wrong.  I am so glad I didn't pay to see it; I only regret having wasted a few hours of my life waiting for it to improve.



No comments:

Post a Comment