Pages

.

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes


I used to eat the Au Gratin potatoes from a box. You know, the kind that can sit in your cupboard for like a year until you decide to mix it up and cook.  Then you find yourself eating the unnatural orange colored potatoes in a matter of minutes.  Yea, those potatoes.

I have been trying to eat more real food lately.  I hardly have any boxes in my cupboard and most of the stuff is fresh.


I know that these were so much healthier than the boxed version and they sure tasted a whole lot better too.  Yes, I used processed cereal for the topping.  I said I'm trying to eat more real food, I'm not completely there yet though.  I'm a lot better than I used to be though!



Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Adapted from Permanent Posies

6 - 7 potatoes
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
4 tbsp. butter
7 oz. cheese (I used Dubliner which was awesome)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup crumbled rice or corn chex

Slice the potatoes into thin rounds. Bring a pot of water to boil.  Drop the potatoes into the boiling water and cook for about 6 - 8 minutes, until tender but not falling apart.  Drain and set aside.

In a pan, melt butter.  Add flour and cook for a minute or so.  Add the milk and stir until smooth, cooking to thicken.  Add cream and both kinds of cheese.  Add the chicken broth and stir.  Let it simmer for a couple more minutes.  Add the garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. 

Put the potatoes in a 9 x 13 in. pan.  Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes.  Take the foil off, top with the Chex crumbs and cook for another 15 minutes to brown the top. 

One Year Ago...








Aztec Chicken with Fresh Pico de Gallo

This is linked with:
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment