Pages

.

Show Us Your Life: Living Rooms


Kelly over at Kelly's Korner is doing a series called "Show us Your Life Friday".  Well, it's Saturday here in Australia but I thought I'd join in anyway!

Our house is a traditional 1915 South Australian villa.  It has a formal sitting room at the front of the house and  there is a family room extension at the back. (You can see our formal sitting room here.)  Today I am featuring the family room as it is where we spend most of our time - largely because we haven't bought a sofa for the front room yet!

We are very fortunate that the previous owners of this house renovated it so beautifully, maintaining the high ceilings, cornices and double-brick structure.

One of the things I love about this room is the natural light.  The windows are huge - they go almost all the way up to the 12 foot ceiling.  The last house we lived in (a rental) was very dark so this is a vast improvement.

The room below forms part of a great room that includes our kitchen and a dining area.  There are still things that I want to do to the family room, but that will take time - we have only been living here since March.  The coffee table is wrong - a larger square one would look better - and a large area rug would also be an improvement.  At present the pictures are too high because we have used existing hooks, but I'll get some picture wire soon and lower them.

The cream bookcase has only been there since last weekend.  I found it during our district's hard rubbish collection and painted it.  It holds some of the very tall books that don't fit anywhere else.




I'm not rushing to buy anything for this house because I only want to buy things that I really love and want to keep for a long time - I would *love* this to be my forever home.

This ceiling rose is really lovely and was commissioned by the previous owner.  We think the leaves on it are either oak or fig leaves.



Well, that's it from me for today!  If you'd like to see more living room tours go and visit Kelly.

Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment