Pages

.

Nasturtiums


I used not to like nasturtiums much because I thought they were too garish in their vivid oranges, reds and yellows.   However, now I like them.  A lot.

They quickly fill patches of bare earth between bigger plants, they cascade down rockeries, and they happily thrive in scorching sunshine.  Moreover, nasturtiums are very low maintenance, requiring little in the way of fertiliser and water.  The seeds are large and germinate quickly, which makes growing nasturtiums a great project for little people.

Even better, just about every part of a nasturtium is edible.  The leaves and flowers can go in salads, and the seed pods can be pickled like capers - or so I'm told, I haven't tried this.

Now that the nasturtiums I planted during winter are starting to flower, it feels like spring is really here!

No comments:

Post a Comment