Pages

.

Every Year

Every year at the start of November I decide that I am going to simplify Christmas. Instead of turkey and ham, Christmas pudding and home-made fruit mince pies, I will serve a suitably summery seafood platter followed by a fruit platter or pavlova.

Then suddenly, in late November or early December, some ancestral spirit (my grandmother, perhaps) possesses me and I long to make Christmas cake, Christmas pudding and home-made fruit mince.  Without these things, Christmas just isn't Christmas. (We'll have seafood and pavlova as well, but they won't be the main event.)

As recently as yesterday I was still planning a simplified Christmas, but today the spirit struck.  The Christmas pudding is made and simmering on the stove and if time allows tonight, I might even make a batch of Gran's fruit mince.


Ready to boil

No comments:

Post a Comment