Pages

.

Cheesy Enchilada Chicken - 17 Day Diet - Day 11


Ooey, gooey and cheesy!  That's what I should have named this recipe. I'm trying to follow the 17 Day Diet and it's been a long time since I've had cheese.  I figured it was time for a bit of cheese.  I divided this into 6 big portions which is only 1/2 oz. cream cheese and 1/2 oz. cheddar cheese per portion.  I'm good with that.  We ate this with steamed broccoli. I loved the sauce on the veggies too!

This tasted fantastic!  Low carb, gluten free, super delicious and healthy.  What more could I ask for!?  My daughter is already asking me to make it again.   


Day 11 - 17 Day Diet Menu Plan
Fruit Yogurt Smoothie
3 hard boiled eggs
Leftover Stir Fry Chicken & Veggies
Cheesy Enchilada Chicken
Broccoli

Weird eating day.  I went a little overboard on the hard boiled eggs but I was hungry and it was what was around. We're only supposed to have 2 per day.  Whoops!  I ate the bit of leftover stir fry after lunch which tided me over for the delicious cheesy enchilada chicken.  The 17 day diet calls for fat free cheese but I really, really don't like fat free cheese.  Plus it's not THAT lower in fat and calories considering the taste.  I figure with this dinner, each 6th of the casserole only had 1/2 oz. cream cheese and 1/2 oz. cheddar cheese.  Not too bad.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Cheesy Enchilada Chicken


3 lbs. boneless chicken breast or tenders
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 tablespoons oil, divided
2 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped 
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup red enchilada sauce
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese, divided


Cut chicken breasts in half if they are very large. Heat about 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in hot oil just to brown the outside well; transfer to a greased 9x13" baking pan. You'll need to cook the chicken in batches, adding a little more oil for each batch.

In the same skillet, heat another tablespoon of oil. 

Add the peppers and onions and cook until just tender, adding the garlic during the last minute or so; season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove the peppers from the skillet to a bowl.



Put the enchilada sauce and cream cheese in the same skillet over low heat. Whisk until the cream cheese is blended into the sauce. Add 3 ounces of the cheddar cheese; cook and stir until the cheese has melted. 

Pour the sauce over the chicken and top with the pepper mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 3 ounces of cheddar cheese over the top. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.



No comments:

Post a Comment