Pages

.

Asian Lettuce Wraps - 17 Day Diet - Day 7





 

Have you ever had P.F. Changs lettuce wraps?  They are phenomenal.  They totally rock. I skip the entre and just have the lettuce wraps as a meal. They are that good. 
 
A few weeks ago, I scoured the internet looking for a copycat recipe.  I found several different versions.  I tried one and found it to be just "okay".  Then I started the 17 Day Diet and knew that lettuce wraps would be a perfect meal for the program.  Veronica sent me a list of her 17 Day Diet friendly recipes and right on top was this recipe for the Asian Lettuce Wraps.  The timing was perfect, I didn't exactly know what was for dinner and was estatic when I realized that I had all the ingredients.  This was a perfect dinner. 
 
My first lettuce wraps used ground chicken, these I used ground turkey.  I always have ground turkey on hand and it's cheaper.  Plus, this recipe used coleslaw in with the meat.  That was my problem with the first wraps, they seemed like too much meat. This was perfect. I think I even used more coleslaw than Veronica did but we loved it!



I just know that these will make an appearance again on the menu.  The next day, I just tossed the meat mixture on a bed of lettuce. It's a much less messy way to eat them.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Day 7 - 17 Day Diet Menu Plan
 
Eggs
Bacon, 1 piece
Ham, 1 piece
Blueberries
Broccoli
Yogurt
 
I know that bacon and ham aren't on the first part of the 17 Day Diet menu.  I caved. I did just have a little bit though. And I rationalized because the meat and eggs were both breakfast and lunch.  Then we came home to a garlic smelled house. It smelled amazing in here!  I bought a huge back of PEELED garlic at Costco for only $4.99.  So worth not having to peel all those suckers.  I've been using garlic like crazy but have hardly put a dent in the package.  Then I had a yogurt for a late night snack.  All in all, the day went well.  I should have nixed the breakfast meat and had a yogurt instead.  Next time, I promise.





Asian Lettuce Wraps
 
1 lb. ground turkey
2 tsp. teaspoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. fresh shredded ginger (I used the stuff in the jar) 
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bag coleslaw
2 cans water chestnuts, drained and minced
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. splenda or sweetener
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 to 1 tsp. sriracha or hot sauce
1/3 cup cilantro
1 - 2 heads iceberg lettuce

Drizzling Sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
3 tbsp. water
1 tsp. splenda or sweetener
1 tsp. fresh shredded ginger

Heat a big pan on the stove.  Brown ground turkey. When almost done, add chopped onion.  Saute for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, ginger and salt.  Cook for a few minutes.  Add cabbage, water chestnuts and green onions.  Cook until cabbage is wilted, about 2 - 3 minutes. Then add soy sauce, sesame oil, sweetener, lemon zest and juice and sriracha if desired.  Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. 
 
To prepare the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients and whisk to combine.  To serve, carefully remove each individual leaf from the head of lettuce, place chicken mixture on the leaves and serve with sauce.






No comments:

Post a Comment