Pages

.

Egg Foo Yung - 17 Day Diet - Day 9



I'd say Chinese food is my favorite.  Well, American chinese food.  You know, the stuff you get for take out and those huge chinese buffets?  Yea, that's the kind of food I like. However, it's not the kind of food that likes me.  I tend to eat way too much of it and eat it way too often. 
I have much better eating habits when I eat at home. So I have tried to re-create many of my favorites with much success. I've been making this egg foo yung for years.  It's simple and one of our favorites. It's also perfect for the 17 Day Diet.  I shared it on this blog when I first opened the blog and now it's time to share it again.  My other recipe used egg beaters. While the taste is the same, they don't hold together as well.  This is really a better recipe.  The picture above is an older picture. I did not have an egg roll with my meal this time.  Actually, egg rolls are one thing that I haven't tried re-creating yet. 
Do you have a favorite egg roll or any chinese copycat recipe?


Day 9 - 17 Day Diet Menu Plan

Yogurt Fruit Smoothie
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Bit of chicken
Yogurt
Egg Fu Young
Watermelon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Egg Foo Yung Recipe

12 egg whites
6 whole eggs

1 cup celery, diced small
1 large onion, diced
2 green onion
1 can bean sprouts, drained & chopped a bit
1 can water chestnuts, drained & chopped
1/2 cup peas
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (10 oz)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Foo Yung Sauce

4 small cubes of chicken bouillon
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 1/2 splenda or sweetener
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup cold water
2 - 2 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch

Cook celery a for 4 - 5 minutes in a saucepan to soften. I do this otherwise the celery is a bit too crunchy in the egg fu young.  Let the celery cool for a few minutes.  Mix celery, onion, bean sprouts, chicken, salt and pepper.  Stir in the eggs.  Heat cooking spray in a pan.  Measure in a slightly heaping 1/4 cup of egg batter and put in a patty on the pan.  I can get 3 at a time in a big pan.  Cover and cook for about 3 - 4 minutes until the egg on top is almost done.  Flip over and cook until you get a brownish crust and egg is done. 

To make sauce:  Dissolve the bouillon in the hot water in a small saucepan, add a bit of splenda and soy sauce and blend well over medium heat.  Combine cornstarch with the 1/4 cup of cold water to dissolve and stir into the bouillon mixture until thick and smooth.  Serve over the egg foo yung. 








No comments:

Post a Comment