Pages

.

Homegrown Ginger in a Pot - in Adelaide

Have you ever grown anything that isn't supposed to grow in your area?

I have always thought of ginger as a tropical plant and had never considered growing it until last spring.  I planted a woody bit of bought ginger in a terracotta pot and, to my surprise, a few weeks later it was sprouting shoots.

Throughout summer I watered the ginger plant with diluted worm juice and today I dug part of the plant up to see if any ginger roots had developed.

To my surprise there are quite a few fat roots in the pot.


The roots are quite different from commercial ginger as they don't have that brown skin and don't appear to need peeling.  Instead, the outside of the homegrown ginger varies from soft yellow to a delicate pink.

I used a knob of fresh ginger in a marinade tonight and it was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment