Pages

.

Coconut Almond Macaroons (and Sherry Trifle)

Sometimes, in cooking, one thing leads to another. 

For example, last week I made a double quantity of plum upside-down cake, the last pieces of which were beginning to go stale.  I also had some tinned peaches in the fridge that needed using up, and some leftover whipped cream.  What to do with it all? I could have thrown the food out but decided to make a trifle instead.

I sliced the cake and lined a bowl with it, before drizzling the cake with a little sherry.  I drained the peaches and tipped them on top of the cake.  I made a rich custard with four egg yolks, 600ml of combined milk and cream, a little vanilla essence and a tablespoon of sugar.  Once the custard had cooled, I poured it over the cake and peaches, then spread the leftover whipped cream on top.  Not a low-cal dessert, I know!

However, after I made my trifle, four egg whites were left over.  I didn't feel like making meringues, so I made macaroons instead.  This recipe comes from Ruth Berolzheimer (ed.) Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook (1948).

Coconut Almond Macaroons

5/8 C sugar
5/8 C confectioner's (icing) sugar
2 Tbsp cake flour
4 egg whites, beaten
2/3 C ground, blanched almonds
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 C shredded coconut.

Sift together both sugars and flour.  Beat egg white until foamy throughout then add sugar 2 tablespoons at a time.  Beat well after each addition.  Fold in almonds, vanilla and coconut.  Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased heavy paper.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees F (about 160 celsius, less if oven is fan-forced.)  Makes 26 macaroons.

No comments:

Post a Comment