Pages

.

Southwestern Breakfast Bake


I make breakfast for dinner quite a bit.  Funny, my actual breakfast in the morning is often quite boring and repetitive.  Much as I would love this in the morning for breakfast, I would never be organized enough to actually make this.  Mornings consist of a quick fried egg or a yogurt.  Delicious meals like this are reserved for dinner.  At least in my house. 

Helen used a can of mexicorn in her breakfast but I used a big can of corn, an onion and a pepper.  Same ingredients but more volume so I added more eggs too.  This was fantastic and I can't wait to make it again.  For dinner.



Southwestern Breakfast Bake
Adapted from Miz Helen's Kitchen

1 - 15 oz. can corn, drained
1 red pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
1 - 4 oz. can of green chiles
10 corn tortillas, cut up
2 cups cheddar or colby jack cheese, shredded
6 eggs
6 egg whites
3/4 cup milk
3/4 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, combine the corn, peppers, onions and green chiles. Line the bottom of a 12 x 15 in. pan (see note) with half the tortillas. I tore mine into bite sized pieces.  Layer half the corn mixture on top of tortillas.  Sprinkle on half the cheese.  Repeat layers.  In another bowl, whisk together eggs, whites, milk and spices.  Pour over layers in pan. Bake 40 - 45 minutes at 350 degrees until browned on top and egg is done. 

Note:  Helen cooked hers in a 9 x 13 pan and used a can of mexicorn instead of corn, peppers and onions.  Mine was larger because of more ingredients and volume so I cooked mine in a 12 x 15.  You can still use a 9 x 13 but it might need to cook longer. 

One Year Ago...







Peanut Butter Marbled Brownies

This is linked with:
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Whole Foods Wednesday at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
Recipe Linky at Newleyweds
Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.





No comments:

Post a Comment