Pages

.

Savory Oatmeal


I think this wins the award for the most unusual oatmeal ever.  In my book at least.  Onions and soy sauce on oatmeal.  Oh yes. 

I've made this a couple of times with a bunch of different twists.  I find it interesting and unique everytime I eat it. 

I made another version with sweet chili sauce instead of soy sauce and hot sauce.  Both were good but I think I like the sweet chili sauce a bit better. 



 
Savory Oatmeal
Adapted from Mostly Food and Crafts

1 cup water
1/2 cup oats
Cooking spray
1 egg
1/3 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. tsp. hot sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil

Bring one cup of water to a boil. Stir in oats and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until thickened and creamy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Cover oats and remove the pot from the heat. 

Heat a small pan over medium heat, spray with cooking spray.  Crack egg into pan and cook as desired.  I like mine over hard.  Remove egg and set aside. 

Add sesame oil and onion to pan and saute until soft.  Add soy sauce and hot sauce to egg and stir to combine. 

Scoop oats into a bowl and top with diced onion mixture and fried egg.  Drizzle with extra hot sauce if desired.

**Alternative version: substitute sweet chili sauce instead of soy sauce and hot sauce.

Two Years Ago...








Spicy Turkey Burgers

This is linked with:
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Whole Food Wednesday at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.





No comments:

Post a Comment