Pages

.

Lentil Baked Beans


Ugly food alert!  There really just was not any way I could make this prettier.  What this lacks in appearance makes up tenfold in taste.  I was afraid there wouldn't be enough flavor as I was making these.  I am happy to say that I was so wrong!  The flavor was fantastic and I ended up eating way, way too many of these. 

I know I'll make them again and I might just add some leftover ham to it next time. 


Lentil Baked Beans Recipe
Adapted from Moveable Feasts

4 slices bacon, finely chopped (omit if vegetarian)
1 yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups lentils, rinsed and picked over
4 cups water
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons neutral oil
2 tsp. mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon ground pepper, plus more as needed
1 bay leaf
Salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F

In a pan, fry bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until softened. Then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.

Add the lentils, water, ketchup, maple syrup, oil, mustard, vinegar, pepper and bay leaf. Stir well and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Cover, place in oven, and bake for 45 - 50 minutes, or until lentils are tender.  Or if your pan doesn't go in the oven, place in a 9 x 13 in. baking dish.
Two Years Ago...









Chipotle BBQ Chicken w/Spicy Cilantro Slaw




No comments:

Post a Comment