Pages

.

Creamy Lime Chicken and Peppers



I love a good crockpot meal, don't you?  This one does require a saute pan briefly before it's done but it's worth it. To get that creaminess, it's totally worth it.


I would have liked to use a green pepper along with this but alas, no green peppers in the frig this day.  *sigh* 

I rather thought it looked like tortilla soup at one point. 

I shredded the chicken but you certainly could leave yours in tenders.  I tend to overcook everything so I think when I stirred it, I didn't have a choice BUT to have shredded as the meat just fell apart.  Mmmmm...  Just how I like it.


You could add cooked pasta right to your crock pot and serve it up that way if you'd like.  I liked it as a sauce.  That way I could put it over steamed broccoli and just a bit of pasta to keep the calories down. 


Creamy Lime Chicken and Peppers Slow Cooker Recipe
Adapted from Recipe Shoebox

2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 Tbs. lime juice, divided
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenders
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 red pepper, cut into long strips
1 green pepper, cut into long strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into long strips
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour, divided
1 cup half-and-half

Combine garlic, broth, 2 Tablespoons lime juice, soy sauce, chicken, red onion, and peppers in slow cooker.  Stir to coat chicken.  Cook on low for about 4 - 5 hours or until it's done and able to shred.
In a large skillet, melt butter over low heat.  As soon as butter is melted sprinkle in 1/4 cup of flour.  Stir with wire whisk.  Slowly add in half and half and stir with whisk.  Take a measuring cup and dip it in the slow cooker and get about 1/2 cup of the liquid.  Pour it into the skillet.  Add in the rest of the flour (another 1/4 cup) and stir.  Get more liquid from slow cooker (exact measurements not important) and add it into the creamy mixture.   Add in the remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice to the cream mixture.
Pour sauce over the contents of the slow cooker.  Stir to combine.  Shred chicken if you want and stir. Pour chicken and sauce over veggies, rice or pasta.  (I used gluten free pasta)



One Year Ago...










Freezer Cooking:Ground Turkey


No comments:

Post a Comment