Pages

.

Butternut Squash and Black Bean Casserole Recipe


I've been trying to eat less meat. I'm trying to eat healthier and I've been making changes in my diet.  I just don't think the we need to eat meat with every meal.  I still eat meat, I'm not going completely vegetarian but I only like to eat meat 2 - 3 times a week. Tops.  I would probably eat less if it weren't for my meat eating family. 


This was an interesting recipe.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out as I was making it. 

It was a casserole, yet kinda like a thick soup.  It had the flavors similar to chili, yet the next day, it thickened so I use it as taco filling.


However it was served, it was delicious.  It was flavorful, pretty, super healthy, gluten free and meat free.  All that I love in a meal.



Butternut Squash & Black Bean Casserole
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan

2 cans (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. ancho chili powder
1/2 tsp. chipotle chili powder (or to taste)
2 - 15 oz. cans of diced tomatoes, drained, LIQUID RESERVED

2 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and cut into thin slices or cubes

1 cup milk
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. paprika

In a large bowl, combine the black beans with the next 8 ingredients and set aside. 

Spray a 9 x 13 in. pan with cooking spray.  Lay 1/3 of the squash (or pumpkin) in the bottom of the dish and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  Cover with 1/2 of the bean mixture.  Repeat layers with another 1/3 of the squash and the remainder of the beans.  Finish with the final 1/3 of the squash slices. 

Combine the reserved tomato juice with the milk, cornstarch and spices.  Stir well and pour over pumpkin.  Cover tightly and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the cover and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes more until sauce is thick and bubbly and the squash is tender.

Total calories = 1850
8 huge servings = 231 calories per serving

One Year Ago...









Apple Cider Beef Stew

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Project Linky at It's a Keeper
Bake with Bizzy at Bizzy Bakes
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Gallery of Favorites at The 21st Century Housewife
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment