Pages

.

BBQ Bacon Spaghetti Squash with Caramelized Onions



I started cooking the spaghetti squash without even knowing what was the plan was for it.  I was thinking about mixing it with spaghetti sauce, meat and cheese for a spaghetti like meal.  We've eaten that before and it's quite good.

However, I was in the mood for something different. 

I've been using spaghetti squash for a lot of different things lately.  So I pulled out all the sauces in my refrigerator and thought about what I wanted to use with the squash. 

When I found the BBQ sauce and the onions on the counter, I thought of pizza. My favorite pizza. BBQ chicken pizza. 


I hadn't pulled out any chicken yet but had bacon in the refrigerator.  So before I knew it, I was caramelizing onions, crumbling bacon, shredding cheese and whipping up dinner.

This exceeded my expectations.  I will go on record saying that this is probably my FAVORITE meal.  Needless to say I ate way too much of it. Plus I made another batch the week later. I ate too much of that also.

Next time you have a spaghetti squash sitting around, I really, really suggest this meal. You won't be sorry.  


Barbecue Bacon Spaghetti Squash with Onions Recipe

1 large spaghetti squash
2 tsp. Barbeque seasoning
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 pack of bacon, cooked and crumbled
5 - 6 small red onions, halved and sliced
4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded

Halve the spaghetti squash and place on a large plate upside down, place a splash of water on the plate.  Microwave for 8 -12 minutes until soft.  My microwave is super small so I just did half of the squash at a time.  You can also place the squash halves upside down on a baking pan and bake them in the oven at 375 for about 40 minutes or until soft.  Let the squash cool a bit and scrape the flesh out with a fork.

Cook onions with about a tablespoon of bacon grease in a large pan on medium.  Cook for about 25 - 30 minutes until soft and caramelized, not burnt, stirring occasionally.  

Place squash in a 9 x 13 in. pan. Stir in the 2 teaspoons of barbeque seasoning.  If you don't have BBQ seasoning, some salt, pepper and Lawry's would work too. 

Press the squash into the bottom of the pan lightly. 

Mix the cream cheese and the BBQ sauce together. You may need to microwave the cream cheese for a few seconds to soften more.  Spread the BBQ mixture over the squash.  It's okay if the cream cheese still has some chunks that didn't mix in. 

Sprinkle bacon over the BBQ sauce.  Pour the caramelized onions over the bacon. Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted.

Total calories = 2172 calories
8 servings = 272 calories per serving

One Year Ago...










Chicken Pasta Salad


This is linked with:
Let's Do Brunch at My Sweet and Savory
Works for me Wednesday at We Are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Best Recipe at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Made by you Monday at Skip to My Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment