Pages

.

Orange Pecan Granola Bars



I have a problem with granola bars.  I will buy them from the store to keep on hand for those mornings that I need something quick. I usually buy the ones that are somewhat healthy but have quite a bit of sugar.   However, late at night, on the weekends, they call to me and I tend to eat them.  Too many of them.  I love them.  They are like my candy bars.  I will rationalize they are healthy but they really aren't THAT healthy. 

Actually, I no longer have a problem with them because I don't buy them.  I can't keep temptations in the house anymore. 

Imagine my delight when I found a truly healthy granola bar that is free from refined sugar.  These are delicious and satisfying but they don't invoke the uncontrollable desire to eat 4 of them in one sitting.

I've made these twice now and I truly love them. I plan to play around with them a bit to try to make some different versions.  No more sugary, unhealthy, store bought bars for me.  These are my go-to bars now!





Orange Pecan Granola Bars
Adapted from My Bizzy Kitchen

3 cups quick oats
3/4 cups chopped pecans (3 oz)
Juice from one orange
1 tbsp. orange zest
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. honey
2 oz. chopped dates
1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Heat oven to 350.  Spray an 8 x 8 in. pan with cooking spray.  Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and mix together.  Press mixture in the pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until top is brown.  Cool completely.  Cut into 12 servings.

Total calories = 2060 calories
12 servings = 172 per bar

One Year Ago...








Mini Pizza Burgers

No comments:

Post a Comment