Pages

.

Zucchini Pizza Casserole


It's time for me to rethink pizza.  I love pizza but it doesn't like me.  Well, the crust doesn't like me.  I like a GOOD crust on my pizza and I haven't found one that I like that is gluten free. I've found some that are okay, but I find that it is fairly high calorie and not very nutritious.  It seems like just the "handle" for the good stuff on top.

I also am trying to reduce the amount of meat so I made a version of this the following week with black beans instead of ground turkey and it turned out fantastic! 



This casserole tastes like pizza.  The "crust" is zucchini and is absolutely delicious.  So you can't pick it up like pizza, who cares? It is healthy and delicious!  Because I didn't use my calories on the bread, I put more cheese than I usually would. 

Cheese is good and makes me happy.  :-)


Zucchini Pizza Casserole Recipe
Adapted from Finding Joy in my Kitchen

4 cups shredded zucchini (I used about 5 small zucchini's)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
2 oz. cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)
1 tsp. italian seasoning

1 lb. ground turkey (or can of black or white beans)
2 oz. pepperoni, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped

2 cups spaghetti sauce
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
4 oz. cheese (I used mozzarella and cheddar)

Shred zucchini.  Mix the zucchini with 2 eggs, parmesan cheese, 2 oz. of cheese and italian seasoning.  Press the zucchini mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 9 x 13 in. glass baking dish.  Bake the crust uncovered for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

While the crust bakes, brown the ground turkey in a large pan.  Add in the onion, pepperoni and spaghetti sauce and cook until onion is soft, about 5 - 7 minutes.  Remove the crust from the oven. Pour the meat and sauce over the crust.  Top with peppers, sprinkle with 4 oz. of cheese. 

Bake for 20 minutes at 400 or until the pizza is heated through and the cheese is melted and slightly browned.  Allow the dish to stand for 2 - 3 minutes before slicing and serving. 

Total calories = 2200 calories
8 servings = 275 calories per serving

Vegetarian version: Sub the ground beef for black beans, I made one the following week this way and it was awesome!


Two Years Ago...








Apple Juice Pork with Squash & Golden Raisins


This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helens Country Cottage
Project Linky at It's A Keeper
Ingredient Spotlight: Beans at Eat at Home

No comments:

Post a Comment