Pages

.

Chickpea Potpie with Cornbread Crust



I have a bad habit of missing an ingredient when following recipes.  I tend to double and triple check recipes before completing them.  This time? I forgot to check.

I was excited about this recipe.  Sweet potatoes and chickpeas are two of my favorite things.  Plus, with it being gluten free, I was super eager to get it in the oven. 

As I was pouring the cornbread topping on the top, I found myself thinking, "Wouldn't this rise better if it had some baking powder in it?"  Then proceeding to look back at the recipe, seeing that I missed the tablespoon of baking powder.

Whoops!


So the topping came out a bit flat due to my baking powder error.  It still tasted great.  I do think that it needed to be seasoned a bit more but for sure it will be made again. 

Next time, WITH the baking power in the corn bread crust!




Chickpea Potpie with Cornbread Crust
Adapted from Eats Well with Others


1 1/2 lbs. chopped sweet potatoes
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup flour (I used GF flour)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
Couple of dashes of Tabasco sauce
3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup flour (I used GF flour)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 egg yolk

Boil the potatoes and carrots until tender but not super soft and set aside. Spray a 9 x 13 in. pan with cooking spray. 

For the filling, cook onions in cooking spray and saute until they are soft, about 5 - 7 minutes.  Sprinkle in the 1/4 cup flour and mix.  Slowly pour the vegetable stock, whisking well until thickened and bubbly, about 2 - 3 minutes.  Add the chickpeas, peas, cooked potatoes and carrots.  Season with salt, pepper and tabasco.  Cook on medium heat until the mixture is heated through.  Pour into the 9 x 13 in. pan.

Preheat the oven to 400.

For the crust, in a bowl, combine the cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.  In a small bowl, combine the milk, oil and egg yolk.  Add to the dry ingredients and mix until uniform but a bit lumpy.  Spoon the batter evenly over the filling.

Bake until the top is golden brown, about 25 minutes. 

Total calories = 2871 calories
8 servings = 360 calories

One Year Ago...














Chocolate Chip Banana Amish Cupcakes


This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey's What's for Dinner, Mom?
Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Best Recipes at This Chick Cooks
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom

Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment