Pages

.

Fruitcake Recipe - Gluten Free




Fruitcake has gotten a bad wrap over the years.  I see people cringe when they hear the words fruit cake. I'd never actually had fruit cake. I do love to snack on dried fruit though so I figured I'd give it a shot.



My sister in law makes some fantastic gluten free recipes on her blog Celebration Generation.  I saw that she had made gluten free fruitcake cookies and then a gluten free fruitcake recipe. I had a bunch of dried fruit in the house so I knew that I had to make this recipe as soon as possible. 


I used Disaronno amaretto with this homemade fruitcake recipe.  My sister in law used Southern Comfort.  While the Southern Comfort sounded delicious, I decided to go with an alcohol that I already had in the house.  I love amaretto and it went perfect with this fruitcake recipe.

I had friends over and we all loved, loved, loved this cake.  It was packed with fruit and nuts and the flavor was fantastic.  I'm looking forward to making it again using the Southern Comfort or another liqueur to try out a different flavor. 




Gluten Free Fruitcake Recipe
Adapted from Celebration Generation

3 cups mixed dried fruits - I used pineapple, mango, apricot and a berry blend
2/3 cup Disaronno or any amaretto
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1 cup gluten free flour blend *
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped pecans

* I make my gluten free flour blend with about 4 cups brown rice flour (24 oz. Bob's Red Mill bag), 1 1/3 cups potato starch (NOT flour) and 2/3 cups tapioca flour or starch. Sift together and store in a sealed container.
 

A day or two before baking the fruitcake, chop dried fruits into pieces, mix in amaretto and cover. I used my food processor on the mango and it seemed to work well.

Spray an 8 in. round cake pan or an 8 x 8 in. pan with cooking spray. 

Strain dried fruit mixture, keeping the amaretto fruit syrup.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg yolks (reserving the whites separately), vanilla, and zests.  Continue beating until eggs are fully incorporated and mixture is once again smooth and fluffy.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Add dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture, beat gently until well combined.  Add milk, continuing to beat until well combined.  Add strained fruits, mixing again until well combined. 

In another bowl, whip the eggs whites on high speed, until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold whipped egg whites into the main batter, until they have been fully incorporated.  Gently mix in the pecans.

Pour cake batter into prepared pan.  Bake for about an hour and half at 325 degrees, or until a knife poked into the center of the cake comes out clean.

While cake is still hot, pour reserved amaretto from the fruit over the top of the cake. I only had a couple of tablespoons but it seemed enough. 

One Year Ago...








Spiced Pumpkin Waffles

This is linked with:
Works for me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Best Recipes at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesdays at Gluten Free Homemaker
Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helens Country Cottage
Recipes and Projects at It's a Keeper
Ultimate Recipe Swap: Christmas at Life as Mom
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Gallery of Favorites at 21st Century Housewife
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
I'm Loving It at Tidy Mom
Friday Potluck at EKat's Kitchen
Recipe of the Week: Cakes and Pies at Family Fresh Meals


No comments:

Post a Comment