Pages

.

Bananas at Last


When I came home from the supermarket with bananas, my daughter said, "we must be rich, we have bananas".

It's felt like that this year, hasn't it, with bananas often $13-$15 a kilo since the cyclones last summer.  Like most Australians, I suspect, we had gone many months without bananas prior to this recent splurge.

My brother, who moved to Sweden mid-year bought Chilean bananas at $1.95 per kilo and wrote on his Facebook page, "Finally, affordable bananas."

While I am overall opposed to the importation of fruit we Aussies can grow ourselves, I'm not clear why we protect the banana industry when we don't, for instance, protect the apple industry against cheaper imports.

Thankfully, prices are now dropping and should hopefully be normal in the next month or two - that is, until the next cyclone season.

No comments:

Post a Comment