Pages

.

Rice Casserole with Bacon and Spinach


My family doesn't eat spinach. More specifically; my husband doesn't eat spinach.  I haven't made many meals that include spinach. At least not when hubs is home.

Funny thing, I actually scheduled to make this on a night that he worked.  He's also not too keen on eggs for dinner.  I know, I know, you're asking yourself what I ever even saw in this guy! 

Well, the schedule changed and he was indeed, home for dinner. 


He loved it!  He ate plenty and didn't complain once.  See, he is a good guy.  I did make him some fried ham to go along with it.  That helped. :-)

I thought it was fantastic. I actually wish he hadn't been home as I would have had leftovers for breakfast!  Is that wrong of me? 


Rice Casserole with Bacon and Spinach Recipe
Adapted from Gluten Free Homemaker

3 cups cooked brown rice
12 oz. cooked bacon, crumbed or in chunks
6 oz. fresh spinach
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. bacon grease
1 tbsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. dried ground thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup milk
2 large eggs

Saute onion in the bacon grease for about 4 - 5 minutes until tender.  Add garlic and stir in for about a minute. Add the spinach to the onion and garlic.  Saute until just wilted. 

Combine the rice, bacon, onion mixture, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. 

In a small bowl, combine the milk and eggs, beating the eggs with a fork until they are combined with milk.  Add the milk mixture to the rice mixture.  Stir well.

Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 in. baking dish and spread evenly.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

One Year Ago...









Banana Foster Amish Friendship Cake


This is linked with:
Tuesday at the Table at All the Small Stuff
Hearth and Soul at 21st Century Housewife
Slightly Indulgent at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family
Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
Whole Food Wednesdays at This Chick Cooks
Gluten Free Wednesday at Gluten Free Homemaker
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Foodie Friday at Simple Living
Spinach Roundup at Gnowfglins

No comments:

Post a Comment