Pages

.

Crunchy Cabbage & Avocado Grilled Cheese



My mom died young and my dad wasn't much of a cook so we ate a lot of simple meals.  Grilled cheese was a regular event on the menu.  I remember my brothers and I would sorta have an assembly line going on while making the grilled cheese sandwiches. 

My dad would cut off two of the bread crusts. Only two.  That way when we lay them over each other, they fit better and the slice of cheese would fit better. 

So while my dad was cutting the bread, one of us would butter the bread, one would take the plastic off the cheese slices and one would start putting them in the pan. 

Gourmet dinner.  Family style. 



Well, grilled cheese has changed a bit around here. For one thing, the cheese in the plastic wrapper is gone. Also, bread is gone from the equation.  At least for me.  Corn tortillas are my "bread" for the most part. I love them!



Here is a a new and improved grilled cheese sandwich that I loved.  I grilled 2 corn tortillas and spread some laughing cow cheese in between. I know, I know, that's fake cheese too.  I think it's tasty. I used the Chipotle kind.  Go ahead and use regular cheese if you would like.  Put it on while still grilling though so it melts.



Then I made a quick and tasty coleslaw for the topping.  Added avocado and tomato and what do you know, a tasty grilled cheese sandwich.  Nothing even remotely like how I ate them as a kid.  I ate these 3 days in a row for lunch last week.  They really rocked!



Crunchy Cabbage & Avocado Grilled Cheese
Adapted from The Welcoming Kitchen

1 tablespoon lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)
dash of salt
a couple of grinds of pepper
1 tablespoon chives, finely diced
1 cup shredded cabbage
4 corn tortillas
1 wedge laughing cow cheese (I used chipotle) 
tomato slices
avocado chunks

1. Combine lime juice, olive oil, agave and salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
2. Add chives and cabbage to dressing, toss, and set aside.
3. Over a medium flame, cook 2 quesadillas.
4. Remove quesadillas from heat, spread cheese on one tortilla, top with the other grilled tortilla, cut in half.
5. Make a sandwich with one half of a quesadilla on the bottom, half of the salad, tomatoes and avocado in the middle, and the other half of the quesadilla on top. Repeat for second sandwich. Makes 2 sandwiches.


No comments:

Post a Comment