Pages

.

Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies - Gluten Free



I was given the privelege of making a recipe from La Phemme PhoodieAmanda started it all and with the help of my host TinaThe Secret Recipe Club has been an amazing success.

I was happy to see that Wendy has gluten free items on her blog. I've recently been trying to eat gluten free but I hadn't baked yet. Well, I figured now was the time. These oatmeal butterscotch cookies looked awesome.

I took her advice on the flour blend, I've seen several recipes but hers was easy and it had ingredients I was easily able to find.

The cookies were very cake like and delicious!  I did find out afterwards that the butterscotch chips I used were NOT gluten free.  Whoops!  It was worth the mild discomfort, they were delicious!  I don't know where to get gluten free ones but I'll find out for next time!



Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Adapted from La Phemme Phoodie

1 cup gluten-free flour blend*

1 cup oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
1/2 cup white beans, liquid reserved
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 non-fat vanilla yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup butterscotch chips


DIRECTIONS:


Preheat oven to 350°F.


Grease two large cookie sheets or line with parchment paper and set aside.


Place the flour and oats in a food processor and blend until the mixture becomes the consistency of powder. (It is important to blend the oats with the flour. Do not attempt to just combine them without blending. The oats will not be the right consistency for this recipe.)


Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, sugar and flaxseed.


Pour the beans, without the liquid, into the food processor. Add the applesauce, yogurt and vanilla and blend until smooth.


Transfer the bean mixture to the large bowl and use a wooden spoon to mix the bean mixture into the dry ingredients. Add in approximately 4 tablespoons of the bean liquid in order to get the dough to the right consistency. Use more liquid if necessary.


Fold in the chips.


Drop the batter by the tablespoon on a greased cookie sheet or parchment lined cookie sheet. Spray a spatula with cooking spray or dip it in water and use the back of the spatula to flatten the cookies.

Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the cookies brown and the bottoms are golden.


Total calories: 2225 calories
23 cookies = 97 calories per cookie


*I took her advice and made my own flour blend. I used her recipe and it worked out well. The basic recipe is 2 cups brown rice flour; 2/3 cup potato starch and 1/3 cup tapioca flour. Combine the ingredients together and then measure out however much you need.

This is linked with Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum




Calories calculated from calorieking.com. Some numbers are approximate and rounded

No comments:

Post a Comment