Pages

.

Very Veggie Taco Chili with Guacamole in the Slow Cooker


Don't you just love to use the slow cooker?  Throw it all in and come home to a fantastic meal. 

I used more veggies this time.  I love packing as many veggies as possible into things. If I leave too many chunks, I get too many questions as to what is what.  

This time I pureed the zucchini and carrots and half the onion.  This made for a rich, tasty, thick sauce. And no questions about what all the chunks were. 




I ran out of taco chili seasoning so I made some more.  I always make my own, it's nice to know exactly what is in there and I like to be able to make changed if I like.  I make a decent size batch and use it for a couple of months for tacos and chili.  

I also couldn't resist whipping up a batch of guacamole to go along with the chili. 



Day 3 of my 30 days of vegan recipes.  Keeping this vegan, I opted not to put my usual cheese and sour cream on it.  It is so flavorful that nothing else was necessary and I didn't miss them a bit.  




Very Veggie Taco Chili Recipe

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 zucchini, grated
2 carrots, grated
2 medium onions, chopped
2 green or red peppers, chopped
2 jalapenos, diced
1/3 cup taco/chili seasoning.*  Or 2 taco seasoning packets
3 cups frozen corn or about 2 cans, drained
1 - 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/3 cup cilantro

Add beans, tomatoes and tomato sauce to slow cooker.  Put zucchini, carrots, garlic and jalapenos in food processor. Or just grate or mince finely. Add to slow cooker.  Add onions, peppers and taco seasoning to slow cooker and cook on low for about 5 - 7 hours.  Add corn and cilantro and cook for about 15 minutes more.

Serve with:
Guacamole
Jalapeno Cornbread

*Taco Seasoning Recipe 

1/3 cup chili powder
3 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. pepper
1 tsp. coriander powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes

Mix together and store in a covered container. Use for chili or tacos. 






No comments:

Post a Comment