Pages

.

Chipotle Caramelized Onions


I love onions.  I put them in just about every recipe I make.  If I see a recipe that doesn't have onions, I usually add them.  (ahem, Biz's recipes)

I also seem to be adding chipotle peppers to just about everything.  I love the smokey flavor and of course the heat!


It just seems natural to put the two together.  My kids run when I cut this many onions, it hurts their eyes.  I have contacts and somehow they completely prevent the onions from affecting my eyes.  


You can take the seeds out of the chipotle pepper if you're afraid of the heat but I leave them in.  Funny, it seems like just a little bit of peppers in a whole lot of onions but it really does flavor them plenty!


Don't forget the sauce. This stuff is golden.  Careful about licking your fingers though, the stuff is really spicy!


Be patient. Let these babies cook for at least 45 minutes.  Longer if you can!


You can put these on just about anything!  Tacos, eggs, nachos, sandwiches, you name it! Make plenty and keep them in the refrigerator.  Every time I make them, I always wish I'd made more!



Chipotle Caramelized Onions Recipe

3 large onions, sliced
1 chipotle pepper, diced
Chipotle sauce (I used about 2 tsp.)
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/3 cup water
Salt and pepper

Add everything to large pan. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 45 - 50 minutes.  Stirring occasionally. Add water if necessary.  

No comments:

Post a Comment