Pages

.

Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes

 
 
Ok, this isn't going to be a post where you're going to look at the pictures and say, "Oh, that looks awesome, I gotta have it!"  Nope, the pictures are not going to speak for this recipe. 
 
Granted, there are about 100 ways I could have improved this picture. First, I could have NOT chose a white bowl.  Duh. I could have drizzled some hot browned butter over the top.  Or I could have shown it with the rest of my meal, it would have looked better with my meatloaf and green beans.  Nope. I didn't do any of those. 
 
In the end, I just plopped them into a bowl, snapped the camera and proceeded to eat these wonderful, tasty potatoes in record time. 
 
Browned butter, people!  That's all I really need to say, right?



 
Browned Butter Mashed Potatoes
Adapted from Taste and Tell
 
3/4 cup butter
4 lbs. yellow Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1 tablespoon salt, divided
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
freshly ground black pepper
 
 
Place the butter in a heavy saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter begins to turn golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Remove immediately from the heat and pour butter into a bowl.
 
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add 2 teaspoons of the salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender, drain and return to the pot.
 
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until you reach your desired consistency. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the browned butter, and add the remaining to the potatoes, along with the buttermilk, milk and remaining salt. Season with pepper, and more salt if needed.
 
Transfer potatoes to a serving dish and drizzle with the reserved brown butter.





No comments:

Post a Comment