Pages

.

Asparaus Quiche with a Sweet Potato Crust



 
 I'm not a big asparagus fan.  Saute it in butter and serve it the right way and it's okay but I rarely, if ever, buy it. It's just not my vegetable of choice. So why did I jump when I saw this recipe? 
 
Well, the sweet potato crust sounded amazing.  The herbs go so well with the sweet potatoes and it really was a perfect quiche crust. 
 
 Quiche. Now there's a word. I've always thought that sounds really fancy. Something that rich, hoity toity people make or you would only get in a fancy hotel for room service breakfast. Seriously, that is what I've always thought of the word quiche.  Never did I think that I would be making quiche.
 
 
 Anyways, back to the asparagus. It's not really asparagus season so I bought frozen. (actually, I have no idea when it's in season, I just couldn't find any fresh at the store.)  I thought about subbing green beans or broccoli but I thought that I could be a big girl and try the asparagus. 
 
Well, it was delicious.  I loved it. Quiche. Asparagus Quiche. Me?  Can you believe it?
 
 
 

Asparagus Quiche with a Savory Sweet Potato Crust
Adapted from Life As a Plate

For the crust:
1 lb. cooked sweet potatoes
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, shredded

For the filling:
1 small onion, chopped
1 9oz. pkg frozen asparagus
1 1/2 tsp fresh garlic
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
10 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup milk

For the crust, mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and then press into the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 in. pan.  Bake at 375 for 20 - 25 minutes until the center is firm. 

For the filling, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the onions, asparagus and garlic.  Cook for 5 - 10 minutes until onions are slightly transparent.  Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes while crust finishes cooking.

Beat eggs and milk until fluffy in a large bow.  Add in the asparagus mixture to the eggs, stir and then pour into pan on top of sweet potato crust.  Bake for about 30 - 35 minutes until cooked through.  Center will be firm and the edges slightly brown.  It might take a bit longer to cook so keep an eye on it.


This is linked with:
My Meatless Monday at My Sweet and Savory




Tweet

No comments:

Post a Comment