Pages

.

Zucchini Spaghetti




I've been meaning to make this for years. Seriously.  I eat a lot of zucchini.  I also like to eat pasta sauce over veggies.  But I had never shredded the zucchini like this before. 

Well, thanks to Pampered Chef, I finally got a zucchini julienne shredder. I ordered a chopper and some spoons and I was able to get the shredder for free. Yea!


I knew I would like it but was afraid that the family would think it odd.  Or they would be begging me for their beloved pasta. Well, we all loved it and I've made it a couple of times since.  Yea!  I love when that happens!


Zucchini Spaghetti with Sausage, Tomato and Basil Sauce
Adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen

10 oz. lowfat turkey Italian sausage, hot or mild
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
pinch hot pepper flakes
1 (14.5 oz.) can petite dice tomatoes with juice
1/4 cup water or chicken broth
2 medium sized zucchini (9-10 inches long) cut into thin strands with a julienne cutter or a mandolin Slicer
5 tbsp. chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbsp. dried)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (or 2 tsp. dried)
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving if desired


Brown sausage in pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Add onion and cook for a few minutes until softened.  Add garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add tomatoes and herbs and stir to combine. Add water or chicken broth to thin if it is too thick. Cook on medium for about 10 - 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. 

Use a julienne cutter or mandolin slicer to cut the spaghetti into long strands. Add zucchini to sauce and stir to combine.  Cook for about 5 minutes and serve. 
 
One Year Ago...










Italian Style Green Bean Casserole

This is linked with:
$5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners

My Meatless Mondays at My Sweet and Savory
Your Recipe, My Kitchen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey's What's for Dinner, Mom?
Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free
The Mommy Club at Crystal and Co.
Best Recipes at This Chick Cooks



No comments:

Post a Comment